Potty Training 201: It's My Potty, I Can Cry If I Want To!

Here is an excerpt from Part 2 of my potty training series: 

"There are several types of potty’s and even toilet seat add on’s to fit over your throne. Which one you choose may not effect the rate of success for your little one, but it will effect your plan. For example; I chose a three-in-one combo. It can be used as a potty while sitting on the floor, or the “throne” can sit directly on the toilet seat. The base then flips over to be used as a non-skid stepping stool. This style fits perfectly with my 'potties belong in the bathroom' method. And I got the whole set up on sale for $20. The stool comes in handy when it's time to wash hands after a potty break too.  After choosing the potty, I also wanted to stick with my favourite way to potty train. Potty training methods vary widely and I have had a range of feedback on my method. Once I have set the potty training wheels in motion-ALL diaper changes and bathroom related activities are done in the bathroom. And NO potties in the living room or bedroom, or anywhere else for that matter.

I got a great deal of success from encouraging this method, it helps young children make a sociological change. Meaning- they begin to change the mindset that bathroom functions can be done anywhere. Why? Because it’s not socially acceptable to use the bathroom anywhere. How many times have I had young boys from my child care center pee in a potted plant, on a tree, or in the sandbox at the childcare? Too many times to count. The boy’s and parents response is usually the same-“boys are different they are made to pee anywhere.” Not trying to be judgmental, but unless you live in a remote place where everyone pees in the sandbox, teach your children to pee in a bathroom!"


Read my full post on Our Family World.

Did you miss Part One? Potty Training 101: How Do You Know When Your Prince or Princess Is Ready For the Throne?




No comments: