Friendship Friday: Won't You Be My Neighbour? What I Learned from Mr. Roger's Kindness.


Normally you would be able to find my Friendship Friday post early in the morning.  It's been a busy week at work, my back hurts, I haven't shopped for turkey dinner yet, I'm tired, and I napped most of the day away.  But enough of the whining, it is THANKSGIVING weekend after all.  There was a mean occurance with one my fellow tenants, I can't even call him a neighbour after what happened yesterday.  And it got me thinking about what it takes to be a good friend, neighbour, and wife from day to day to day.  So I will leave you with this to chew on along with your turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie.

What I learned from watching Mr. Rogers- relationships require consistent kindness to grow, build trust, and bear fruit.



Mr. Rogers embodied consistent kindness.   His theme song and opening stayed (mostly) the same- his voice was soothing, he used kind words and had many friends, ie guests.  I was terrified of the puppets in the fantasy land featured in the cut-away scenes with Trolley. Regardless of that, I grew to wish Mr. Rogers WAS my neighbour.  Fred Rogers still remains a symbol of kindness and friendship to this day.  Did you know he once had his modest car stolen.  After the incident made local news, the thieves returned it anonymously with a note; We wouldn't have taken it if we knew it was yours.  I mourned him like a lost grandparent when he passed in 2003.  So after this week that has been filled with RUDE customers and mean neighbours, I choose to be consistently kind instead.
“If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” Fred Rogers, n.d.

More about Fred Rogers:



GRACE @Home




Credits:
Image "Mr Rogers Neighborhood".
Video "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" Theme Song.
Quote is from ASnappyNewDay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like it when men and women arrive with each other and share opinions, excellent website, preserve it up.

Anonymous said...

Everything is quite open and extremely clear explanation of concerns. was truly info. Your site is quite useful. Many thanks for sharing.