Flash Back Friday: What artist or song has had the most influence in your life?


What has this got to do with anything? While at work last night, the in-store sound system shuffled to the "80's Work Out" station.  The first song to come on was Monkey. I was instantly transported back to being a pre-teen girl for a few minutes.  There isn't enough money in the world to bribe me into going back to my teenage years.  I'm not one of those people that looks back and longingly wishes to re-live her childhood.  Growing up was tumultuous and turbulent.  Music grounded me, by helping me express feelings and emotions I didn't know how to put into words for myself.  It also helped me to have fun and connect with my friends.  Pre-teen crushes on rock stars also help your heart get ready for the real thing, but that's another story.  I hadn't listened to Monkey in about 5 years.  I needed that little pick me up more than I even knew.  And it got me thinking about what a big part music can play in moods, emotions, and influences.



Did you know that musical memory is thought to be the last of our thought processes to fade? I wasn't surprised by this theory at all when I saw it in a Documentary about the effects of music on memory functions.  I can still remember my choir parts from grade 2-6.  To this day, when I hear "Oh Canada" I sing the alto part, in a perfect mixture of French and English as we were taught.

Music has been a BIG part of my life.  I don't play an instrument, that is my one regret.  But I do love to listen to many styles of music, and I love to sing Gospel music.  Each stage of my life, and each milestone can be book marked with a song or an album.  Yes, I said album.  I also had a bright yellow Sony Walkman, and saved up allowance to buy singles on cassette. Now I've gone from paying 1.99 for a cassette to 1.99 for an itunes download.

It isn't much of a secret for people that know me well. I am still crazy infatuated with George Michael.  My crush started in 1986, when I would secretly listen to Casey Kasem's Top 40 on Saturday afternoon, in hopes of hearing G.M.'s latest single.  My family was quite conservative, and G.M. was controversial with his lyrics, therefore, not considered appropriate listening material for a 10 year old.  My crush never faded as I got older.  I continued to follow his career and was thrilled to see him in Toronto for the 25 LIVE Tour in July 2008.

What artist or song has had the most influence in your life?



GRACE @Home




**Video from Youtube: Monkey, Sony BMG Music c.1987

No comments: