A Terrible Thing: Have You Ever Seen the Wind?

A storm blew through my region recently (April 23).  I went for my morning walk the next day and was surprised to see this in my parking lot.



It is hard to describe the scale of this event. First of all, hoping that no one in the neighbouring yard/home was hurt, sadness to see this type of destruction in an otherwise healthy tree, and awestruck at the power of WIND.

I have lived here for 12 years and watched this tree grow each year, it had to be nearly as tall as my five-story apartment building.  I was flooded by a mix of emotions. It was too big for me to hug, and even it's smallest branches reached higher than anyone could climb unassisted.  It was strong and healthy.  Yet, it twisted and snapped.  It's weakness and breaking point was found by the powerful WIND.  I will miss seeing the creatures that found shelter in it's strength.  It took many years for that tree to reach it's heights. In 4 hours, a team of workers, two large trucks and a crane cut this tree into managable pieces and removed it.

Who Has Seen the Wind?  by Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830-1894)

Who has seen the wind?

Neither I nor you.

But when the leaves hang trembling,

The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?

Neither you nor I.

But when the trees bow down their heads,

The wind is passing by.

2 comments:

Jessie @ MomVantage said...

It is amazing what mother nature can do! My moms house always looses a lot of trees to both wind and ice each year.

RoryBore said...

there is a ravine that runs through our neighborhood - tons of trees - one of which very neatly laid itself down in the patch of grass between 2 houses. amazing - so close, yet no damage; other that to itself.